Thursday, May 24, 2012

1992 Bowman

Today I'm taking a look at another 90s set that's on my wantlist (and one that I hope to knock off by the end of 2013) the 1992 Bowman set. I remember when this came out and all the hype surrounding it...as well as the price. I know I spent $5 for a pack of Stadium Club in 1991 but that was only because those were the coolest cards I had ever seen and I desperately wanted to build that set. I didn't show that much love for 92 Bowman simply because I put it on par with 1992 Topps, sure it was a good set with a crisp white border, but that was it. Over the years though, the set has grown on me and I have come to learn to appreciate everything that it has to offer. The rookie class in this set is mind boggling! The use of gold-foil, ingenious! The sheer amount of stats listed on the back of each and every card, CRAPTASTIC! I know there's a lot of people out there that are Bowman haters, I being one of them. But in 1992 they did it right by having a simple and elegant design that incorporated a lot of the things we find commonplace on today's baseball cards. So far I only have two cards from this set, one being Barry Larkin, but hey...it's a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment