Monday, January 13, 2014

My first goal of 2014 is now complete!

We're not even half way through the month of January and I've already wrapped up one of my collecting goals for the year. I've always been a huge fan of the 2011 Topps set. The design is, in my opinion one of the best since the 1965 Topps set and the photography is on par with what Topps served up in 1971. I love the little baseballs with the team logos on the bottom right corner of the cards (I also think it's cool that the baseballs on the shortprint cards are yellowed). This set would have been perfect if Topps had removed the card for full bleed photography and printed the text on the card fronts in something other than foil. Some of you may argue that 2013 is a much better set than 2011, and I would almost agree with you if Topps hadn't seeded the set with those damn super short prints. To me, those are a deal breaker! I decided to take a short break from collecting vintage Reds since it gets a little disheartening only grabbing a handful of cards every two weeks. But with this set now put to bed, I'll head back to grabbing some 1950s cards very shortly. I still need to grab the short prints for this set, but to me, SPs are just icing on the cake. They're nice to have, but I can live without them for the time being. I hope to eventually track them down over the next few years, but it's not high on my list of things to do. Anyway, I'm glad that I finally own all 660 cards in this set!

2 comments:

  1. Greetings -- I'm just getting back into collecting and am trying to clear out what doesn't fit in my collection. I think I can put a good-sized dent in your 1986 Topps goal for 2014. Contact me through my (new) blog at torontobluejayscollection.blogspot.ca if you're interested.

    Cheers,

    Richard.

    ReplyDelete