Friday, August 8, 2014

What I Couldn't Find at the National I Found on the Bay!

The one item I had searched for the entire day at the National last Saturday was a set produced by Topps in 1985 commemorating the Hit King, Pete Rose. The 120 card set comes in a little red box that's decorated with a large facsimile autograph of Pete. To say that I was a little bummed that I couldn't even find one set at the nation's largest sports card and memorabilia show would be an understatement. Earlier this year I started a PC collection of Pete Rose and had hoped to add another 120 cards to it, but it just wasn't meant to be. After I arrived back home from the show I decided to hit eBay to see if they had any reasonably priced sets ($10 or less). I found one with a starting price of $9.99 that had a low shipping price and put my bid in. Sunday night I received an email informing me that I had won the set with my sole bid. I received the set today in the mail and I'm very happy that it's now part of my collection. Sure, that National may have a lot of amazing cards and memorabilia that are astronomically priced, but for this collector I'm content with the affordable cardboard. To me, this will always be a hobby - and the only investment I have is my time in enjoying this wonderful hobby.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I have a couple cards from the set and have always wanted to pick up the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really nice set Nick. I highly recommend if you can find one cheap to grab it.

      Delete