Friday, February 20, 2015

Dilemma

Do you ever experience a dilemma when you're collecting sports cards? Ever come to a fork in the road and not sure if you should turn left or right? Recently I was struggling with a problem when it came to collecting the 2013 Topps set. I have always been a huge fan of the set because of the design and photos and I knew that I wanted to add the set to my collection, but I wasn't sure how to do it. Should I buy a factory set that had the 5 orange factory cards in hopes that one of those five would be a Votto that I need for my rainbow? I didn't like the odds of that, nor the price of around $50. I had always wanted a mini set and Topps did release wax boxes of their 2013 cards that are at a reasonable $30 on eBay. The problem with that is that there are 24 packs to a box with 10 cards to a pack. That's 240 cards to a box. With inserts, parallels, and possible printing plates and autographs that would leave me around 220-230 base cards a box, if I didn't pull any dupes. I would then need at least 3 wax boxes to try and collate the 660 card mini set which would set me back about $90...way to steep for me. While I'm sure I might have been able to pull something nice to recoup some of my costs, it was too much of a gamble for me. I've never been a pack gambler and never will be. This past week, while I was browsing eBay I noticed a listing for a complete set of 2013 Topps minis with an option to submit a best offer. Needless to say, I decided to submit an offer and was surprised to find out the seller accepted. For $34.99 shipped I was able to get my first Topps mini set and a set that I think is one of the ten best they've ever produced. What do you think? Did I make the right decision? How about you? Ever experience a dilemma is your collecting endeavors?

11 comments:

  1. Most of my dilemmas occur when a PC guy is traded (usually a prospect) and how to proceed from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's a tough one. When I was looking for a PC guy I had always liked Rose, but with his stints in Philly and Montreal I wasn't sure I should collect those cards. But I figured if I liked the player I could look past the team.

      Delete
  2. I have been experiencing something similar with sets. Whenever I open a product I automatically assume that I need to complete the set. This has left me with quite a few partials that I'm trying to complete. This year I've told myself if I like a set just find it on eBay and buy it. Cuts out the headache and the filling that I need to be searching eBay all the time for the cards I'm missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. filling = feeling. /drinks another cup of coffee.

      Delete
    2. I agree, thought sometimes I feel like I'm missing out on the thrill of the hunt. If cards were more affordable today with little to no inserts I would do it. But today it's just so expensive to try and build a set by busting packs.

      Delete
  3. It would have taken you many more than 3 boxes to get a full set of 2013 Topps Mini. I busted 6 boxes and still was missing 29 cards from the set, which I then decided to go purchase as singles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were you, I would have done the same thing. From where I'm standing... you scored a much better deal paying the $35. Sure you missed out on the joy of busting packs. And you missed out on pulling a cool parallel or a big hit. But you also saved a ton of money too. And with that extra money you could actually go out and buy a hit you really want. In addition to you having more money in your wallet, you also saved yourself the time of sorting cards and building the set which could be good or bad depending on your point of view. I personally would rather have someone else build the set, since I have so many other cards sitting around that need to be sorted.

    Plus... I'm in a similar boat as Matthew. Every time I bust a box... I end up feeling obligated to build the set. And since I don't trade anymore, I usually end up spending more money than the actual set is worth to complete them. Not only that... it's kinda stressful knowing that I'm in the process of building over 30 different sets.

    As for my own personal collecting endeavors... I'm constantly standing at the cardboard crossroads. It seems like making a key decision on my collection stumbles upon me every other day. But that's the beauty of our hobby. Even if I didn't agree with your decision or you didn't agree with mine... it's still all good. The fact that everyone builds their collection with different cards utilizing different strategies makes each of us unique and special. Congratulations on your 2013 Topps Mini set purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji! It's hard for me to get excited about hits anymore. I was never one to get on the bandwagon for pulling relic cards, but I still get excited when I get an autograph back from a player I send a request to. I think one of the main reasons I got out of the hobby back in the 90s was cardboard overload. I tried to chase everything and it just became to daunting. I've avoided that issue this time around by just collecting what catches my eye and not what I think I need to have. By keeping it simple I've been able to enjoy it much more. Of course, now that I'm basically chasing vintage it's been frustrating only being able to add a few cards to my collection every couple of weeks, but it's fascinating to wonder what stories these 50+ year old pieces of cardboard could tell.

      Delete
  5. I always face a dilemma. Too many cards I want, not enough money to acquire them. I actually have a hard time buying single cards, because there's just so many I want. Being a completest is fun because it allows me to always have something I can add to my collection- but it can also be frustrating because I have to let some go to chase something else, or even to skip cards and pay for medicine instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually find it easier to buy singles just because it's able to keep me on track and not lead me down the path where I feel like I need to have everything. Of course with my wantlist consisting of cards from mostly 1971 and before, I could change my tune because they're not as affordable. But I do love vintage cards!

      Delete