Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Thinning the Herd

I've run into this problem before. I get sidetracked with purchasing cards that I didn't intend on adding to my collection...those cards pile up...and then I'm stuck with a mess of cardboard that just takes up space and that I could care less about. For the past six months I had been on the fence on what to keep and what to let go. While I chased down some sets that I had as a kid that weren't baseball related there was one set in particular I wrestled with whether or not to keep, the 1986-87 Fleer basketball set. I spent more than six years working on this set and a few months back I purchased two additional cards that put me two short of completing both the main set and the sticker set. Unfortunately, both of those cards were the Michael Jordons. I knew I would probably never own those cards just because I'm not a true die hard basketball fan. Sure, I dabbled with them back in the late 80s and early 90s but they didn't capture my heart as much as baseball cards. A few days ago I was able to sell my mostly completed fleer basketball set for a decent amount and while I'm not disappointed with the decision I've made, I've started to re-evaluate my collection and goals. I've reached a point where it's time to purge. I still plan on keeping my Reds cards but I've decided to rid my collection of a few Topps sets that I could care less about owning (1990 and 2002) and I've also pared down my wantlist to only include Reds cards and a few sets I'm still chasing (sorry 1956 and 1965 Topps). I think I'm to the point where it's ok if I only acquire the latest Topps Flagship Reds set and the Reds card set stadium giveaway. I'm to the point in my collecting that I need to enjoy what I have instead of acquiring cards just for the heck of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment