Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Hats Off to Me for Hitting 575!

I've written over the past few months how much I enjoy Panini's Playoff Prime Cuts brand. It's one of the few non-licensed products out there that I like to collect. Most of their designs remind me of the American Carmel cards of the 1920s. The American Carmel cards are fantastic and just scream out the extravagance and luxury that defined that decade. Flappers, Lindbergh and Gatsby...great times! I would like to eventually own an American Caramel depicting a Reds player (preferably Edd Roush) but they're so expensive that I don't look for one to be entering my collection anytime soon. Regardless, this 2012 Playoff Prime Cuts Hats Off Pete Rose card appeared on eBay a few days ago for less than $10 and I knew I had to add this to my Rose PC. Numbered 46/99, I'm assuming this is a piece of a hat from the Hit King. If that is in fact the case then it must be part of inside sweat band of the hat since the Reds didn't wear white hats when Rose was on the team, with the exception of the early 1960s when he was just starting out with the club. While I'm not a fan of the pic Panini used with the logo less hat, I can overlook that small detail. I also would have liked them to use 1869 instead of 1882 as the date of the club's establishment. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

3 comments:

  1. Great card! I really should add a Rose relic to my collection at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji. For the most part, many of them are affordable ($15 or less). There is a nice card that Panini released this year that has both Rickey and Pete on it http://www.ebay.com/itm/PETE-ROSE-R-HENDERSON-2016-Pantheon-CLASS-RANK-DUAL-RELIC-99-Panini-CRD-HR-/132054873416?hash=item1ebf157548:g:jj0AAOSw2xRYbcFp

      Delete
    2. As soon as one of these drops into my price range, I'll be all over it. Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete