Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Buy Low, Sell.....Never!

Last week the market really took a beating with everyone in a panic over the coronavirus. I get it, the whole situation isn't something that should be taken lightly. While I'm not a market guy, watching the Dow drop more than 3,500 points can be a bit unsettling. Now that being said, every investor will tell you that when stocks are down, that's the perfect time to buy. I guess the same can be true for baseball cards. When prospects make it to the show their card values skyrocket and affordability diminishes quite quickly. However, if that prospect gets injured and requires surgery then his card values start to fall back down to earth. That's exactly the case with Cincinnati's number 2 pick Nick Senzel. Though his numbers weren't astronomical last year, they were decent. Unfortunately, he was bit by the injury bug towards the end of last season and had to have shoulder surgery. As a result, his cardboard prices have become easy for me to stomach and I've started acquiring his rookie cards from last season. So far I've been able to grab 20 different and I've decided to chase down 90 different rookie cards of the Reds center fielder. The parameters are the same as my Votto Rookie project with one exception, I'm not going to go after any non-licensed cards in this project. That means ABSOLUTELY NO PANINI CARDS will be joining this binder. What's fascinating is that I've identified 90 different Bowman and Topps cards to chase with room to spare, I could have added the Topps Gold parallels as well as Topps Fire, but there just isn't room on the wantlist. Anyway, I should enjoy working on this project as much as I have with chasing down Joey Votto rookie cards. You can keep track of my progress by clicking the link on the right hand column of the page titled Senzational Rookies

4 comments:

Fuji said...

90 different rookie cards? Lol. That just sounds crazy when I read that and think about the 70's (or even 80's) when times were simpler. Anyways... it's a cool project. Best of luck!

Jon said...

I too find myself constantly being amazed at just how many rookie cards of each player are put out every year, makes me glad that I don't have any interest in collecting current players... couldn't afford it even if I wanted to!

Reds Card Collector said...

I agree Jon, things were so much easier when there was only Topps, Donruss, and Fleer. Now, not so much.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji. Yeah, this will be the last "Rookie Project" I'll be tackling. I decided to jump in on this because not only do I hope Nick works out and becomes a star player for the Reds, but also all the different throwback uniforms that are featured on his various cards from last year's 150th celebration.