Thursday, December 1, 2011

1957 Topps

I love these cards, even though they're expensive and they don't have all the design elements that I normally look for when critiquing a set. The 1957 Topps set just screams old. The photography, the white border, the gray backs with red ink...classic. Although I only have one Reds card from this set, that being Frank Robinson, I'll make sure that changes after the first of the year. Today's cards just can't stack up to the sets of the 50s, 60s, or even 70s that Topps produced. Sure, today's sets are gloss heavy on premium cardboard using thousands of shades of ink colors with numerous parallels that encompass all the colors of the rainbow, they just don't have the flavor of the old sets. On a different note, I'm taking a break talking about Topps sets for a while, mostly since I've covered everything with the exception of some sets from the 50s and two from the 60s. I feel that I can really review a set unless I have at least one card from that year forever encapsulated within my collection. So, until I pick up some vintage cards from those sets I'll be talking about something else. That's where I need your help. Not sure if I should talk about Reds bobblehead stadium giveaways that I'm collecting or the different autographs from past and present Reds I've acquired through the mail (which currently number 125+) So let me know what you would like to see.

No comments: