Wednesday, April 4, 2012

1958 Topps

So when it comes to completing a team set from a particular year, I have the attention span of a gnat. I always try to finish a year before I start on another one, but when I was surfing ebay the other day I came across a crazy good find of 12 1958 Topps Reds cards for $32.99 that included shipping. While I'm not a huge fan of the 1958 topps set, particularly the Reds with the nasty yellow background that's present on most of their cards, I do like the vintage sets and the Mr. Redlegs image that's on most of the older sets. Another gripe I have with this set is that most of the cards are portrait shots with only a few action shots sprinkled in. Such a disappointment, but oh well. Anyway, getting back to my find on ebay...while the combined lot amounted to a little less than $3 a card, what made this find truly amazing was the fact that this card was included...a second year Frank Robinson card. How sweet is that? I was a little disappointed when I received the package and found that one of the cards (Dutch Dotterer) had a big crease down the middle of the card, but the others were in great shape. So ultimately I got 11 1958 Topps Reds cards for $3 a piece. Can't complain for getting a second year Robinson for $3 can I?

No comments: