Monday, December 29, 2014

McFarlane Johnny Bench

I sat on the fence for the longest time in making this decision. I've been collecting Reds bobbleheads for years now, but I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to venture out and chase retail figures. After going back and forth on this for well over a year I decided I would go after these McFarlane figures, but only those produced depicting members of the Big Red Machine. This would limit me on just two figures (Johnny Bench and Joe Morgan). A few weeks back I was able to grab this opened Johnny Bench on eBay for more than half of what I would pay if it were still in the packaging. It's very detailed compared to the Kenner Starting Lineup figures and the poses are great. Johnny leaning over a rail to catch a foul ball is great! I do have plans of acquiring the Joe Morgan figure sometime in 2015 (just in time for the 40 anniversary of the 1975 World Series Championship).



8 comments:

Fuji said...

Very cool figure!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hackenbush said...

I've never bought one but I've always been intrigued by the McFarlane's. The Bench looks fantastic.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji! Wasn't sure I would like it as much as my bobbleheads, but I think I actually like it more.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Hackenbush! I was a little hesitant on buying one but decided to bite the bullet when I saw this Bench figure. I'm glad I decided to grab one. I probably won't purchase all the Cincinnati Reds figures, but having Bench and Morgan from the Big Red Machine days will definitely make a nice addition to my collection.

Anonymous said...

You should get it signed. I got him to sign the area to the left of the hand rail in beautiful silver paint pen at the Moeller show!!! It looks great displayed. I plan to get Morgan to sign at the All-Star Fan Fest this season.

Reds Card Collector said...

I thought about that, but I think I'll probably have him sign my mini home plate.

UOFMARS said...

I love some of the McFarlane figures. Some are dead-on facially, and with a great sculpt on the figure itself. Some are but average, and others I'd classify as poor. An example of a "dead-on" figure would be the without helmet Randy Moss in an Oakland Raiders uniform.

I'm a bit torn on the Johnny Bench. I don't feel they quite captured him facially, but overall it's not a bad figure, and the other ones out there are much worse. I also haven't seen personally, only in online photos. Ditto the Joe Morgan, I'm not wild about how they imaged him, but again, not a bad figure.

I guess McFarlane no longer has the MLB license. And maybe that license is now held by Imports Dragon? But the stuff I've seen (again, only in photos) has been TERRIBLE. McFarlane overall has done a good job, although I wish every figure was more accurate facially, like their best ones. Also, it would be nice if some great stars were available in figures who are currently not, like Sandy Koufax, Frank Robinson, Don Drysdale, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Lou Brock, Curt Flood, et al.