Monday, September 23, 2019

Sweet!

I haven't purchased much vintage lately. Instead of focusing on some of my Reds wantlist items I've been consumed with trying to track down 2011 Gypsy Queen autographs and other modern cards. Luckily I was able to stumble across this 1909 T206 Rebel Oakes Sweet Caporal on eBay for just a hair over $30 shipped. Although Rebel is not Mr. Oakes given name, it's Ennis for those that are interested, one interesting tidbit of information I found fascinating wat that both he and Miller Huggins were traded from the Reds to the Cardinals in 1910 for Fred Beebe. With this purchase I now have 13 of the 24 T206 Reds cards that comprise this set. I would like to try and purchase one or two more before the end of the year.

4 comments:

Zippy Zappy said...

I remember when commons like these went for $10-20 back in 2014. I see that inflation has brought that up to $30 now.

Reds Card Collector said...

Yeah, I haven't seen singles that cheap for a long time.

Jon said...

Commons (in decent shape) can occasionally still be had for under $20 on COMC, I was able to get three last year for around $15 apiece.

Brett Alan said...

I have one T206 card, which I bought in the 80s for one dollar. Condition isn’t as nice as the one above, with some noticeable paper loss on the back, but it’s not bad.

One negative of being a fan of an expansion team, even an older one like my Mets, is there’s no hope of getting a card from your team from this era. Mines a New York Giant which I guess is as close as I can get.