Friday, August 20, 2021

End of an Era

 I found out today that Topps will no longer have an MLB license at the end of the 2025 season. While some collectors might be happy about this news, I think I'm on the other side of the fence on this one. I haven't been much of a fan of Topps flagship products the past few years but I've always collected the Reds sets with due diligence. It's just something I've done since I started collecting in 1986 and pursued once more after my hiatus from the hobby from 1995 to 2001. This is the end of an era for Topps and I wonder if it's the final nail in the coffin for the company in general. I'm also wondering how this is going to play out for our hobby in general. With Fanatics being the sole proprietor of MLB cards and the fact that they have no experience in the production of trading cards could this be the beginning of the end for our hobby as it relates to future cards? I guess only time will tell. Maybe I'll stop purchasing product at the end of the 2025 season if I don't like where things are going with this new direction. After all, it all comes down to money and I feel that the only reason Fanatics threw their hat in the ring is to cash in on the hype that's engulfed our hobby once more. If they decide to cater strictly to the high tier enthusiasts of our hobby and not create a great product at an affordable price, then I'm out. I'll be content with tracking down vintage product. If you're interest in reading the article that's posted on ESPN, here's the link:https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32052284/fanatics-strikes-deal-become-exclusive-licensee-mlb-cards 

2 comments:

Fuji said...

Sad news. Maybe Fanatics will buy Topps and continue the legacy.

Reds Card Collector said...

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how things shake out the next couple of years.