Friday, April 19, 2013

It took me a while but...

I finally finished my 2005 Studio set. I started on this set back in 2011 and I had every intention of finishing up this set last year, but I became sidetracked with acquiring some bobbleheads I needed for my collection. I've always thought the Studio sets were some of the best sets that Donruss released in terms of design and photography. Granted, the set doesn't scream out ACTION with its laid back imagery of ballplayers but that's what makes it so appealing. The one gripe I have with this set is that I wish Donruss had stayed true to it's original 1991 release and had the card backs consists of personal information about the ballplayers instead of laden with stats. I think it's fascinating to know what someone's favorite movie is, who their hero is, and what their favorite food might be. Does that stuff deal with baseball? No, but it does give us a glimpse into the player beyond the numbers they post from season to season. Baseball is more than numbers. It's about the guys we love to cheer for each and every night as they take the diamond to play a game they love.

1 comment:

Red Cardboard said...

I'm with ya. Love the Studio sets. Our Reds look particularly great in this set with that fading red around the Roebling Bridge.