Friday, March 7, 2014

Another Tobacco Card for My Collection!

It's been almost two months since I've made any progress on my 2014 collecting goals. There were a lot of reasons why I hadn't made a dent in that list for so long, mainly due to getting sidetracked. When one starts a player collection, purchases an old catcher's mitt, grabs a mess of kahn's cards, and buys an autographed photo then it's easy to see why. Well it's time to get back on track. I've had my eye on this card for a very long time. I know the back isn't in the greatest shape, but considering how well it's stood it for the past 105 years I won't complain. This is by far my favorite T206 that I have in my collection. I love the depiction of Bob Ewing on this card. The setting of a summer sun in the distance and lush green grass makes my heart long for July.
Ever since I started collecting baseball cards when I was ten years old, I never thought I would be able to have cards from the 50s, 60s and 70s in my collection, let alone tobacco cards. But now hat these cards now reside in my binders, I can say that it I would still take these cards any day over the latest and greatest cards that are produced. I don't know what it is about vintage cards that I like so much. Maybe it's because they harken back to a time when things were simpler. Or it could be that when I stare down at them I wonder about the journey they took from the time they first came out of their package to the moment they were placed into my binder. I'm sure if these old cards could talk, they would have some great stories to tell.

No comments: