Wednesday, June 20, 2018

A Little Late to the Party

Ok, most of you have already talked about this year's series 2 release of Topps. For better or for worse, I'm just now getting around to it. This past Sunday my wife surprised me with an eBay gift card for Father's Day. Needless to say, within a few hours of receiving it I had already spent it. I was able to purchase a complete set of 2018 Topps Series 2 Reds cards and three short prints. Out of the three short prints this Bench card is my favorite. There's still one more series 2 Reds card I don't have...a super short print Joey Votto card and it will probably never enter my collection. Starting bids on eBay are $50....way too steep for a modern variation card. I'd rather spend that money on a couple of vintage Goudey or T206 Reds cards.

2 comments:

Fuji said...

Very cool Bench. I've never seen that photo before. As for a $50 Votto SP. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only team collector that's willing to draw a line in the sand.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji. Yeah, that's just crazy. I can understand paying more for vintage cards, but for modern I just don't think it's worth it. I just can't imagine that collectors will continue to shell out a hundred dollars or more each year for a "limited" short print photo variation card from a flagship product. But what do I know :)