Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Feeling a bit empty

 

This year has been for me, and many, a tough year to get through. It's almost as if it's the year that wasn't...but was. From March through December it just felt as though I was living in some parallel universe where nothing was the same yet it seemed that everyday was a repeat of the day before. Almost like the movie Groundhog Day, but on PEDs. I just kind of wandered through this year in a haze and it's been reflective in my hobby as well. Sure I was able to put together this year's Topps Cincinnati Reds flagship set. I'm grateful that there weren't any super short prints for me to chase. But other than that I didn't really collect much. That being said, I did start on one more 1991 Stadium Club set this year. While I have the baseball, football and hockey sets from 1991 as well as the baseball pre-production set, there's still a couple of Members Only sets I would like to get but those are small potatoes compared to what I'm building right now. I was able to purchase a huge lot of press proofs a few months back. In fact, the lot I purchased was the entire series 1 set with the exception of Rickey Henderson. Luckily I was able to track him down on comc as well as the hall of famers and rookies in series 2 so now I just have commons to chase. Since I'm two thirds of the way done with the set I'm hopeful that sometime next year or perhaps 2022 I'll be able to wrap it up. The difference with these proofs compared to the regular stadium club cards is that there's no gold foil and no UV gloss protection on the card. It's almost like an empty stadium club card. Personally I think they're great and it's been a fun project thus far to chase. Here's hoping to a Happy New Year to us all. Hopefully 2021 will make us smile again like Tony here.

6 comments:

Nick said...

I almost hesitate to say this, but I can't imagine there's much chance that 2021 could be worse than 2020 was, so there's that! Here's hoping the Gwynn-like smiles return to our faces.

Fuji said...

I feel bad for all of the people who have been affected health-wise or financially this year. In that sense, I've been very fortunate to have kept my job without losing any friends or family members to COVID (knocking on wood). That being said... I've had several friends and family members struggle in other ways... and that hasn't been fun. It's also been the longest year ever. Normally... time seems to fly by faster and faster as I get older and older... but not this year. It feels like I've aged two or three years since March 14th (the day my county went into lockdown).

Anyways... congratulations on landing that proof set. That's very, very cool. Happy holidays to your and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have a few older Reds cards that I am trying to sell. I was wondering if you would have any interest? One card I have is a Joe Morgan rookie card (Colt 45s). Due to COVID, my sales job has pretty much dried up and I need to make some money.

Thanks,
Bryan

Anonymous said...

My email address is coachkelly04@hotmail.com

Bryan Kelly

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Nick. Happy New Year!

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji. Here's hoping for a great 2021. Stay safe and Happy New Year!