Thursday, February 18, 2021

2021 Topps

The cards are on their way. Each year I head over to eBay and pick up a Reds team set because I don't feel like spending money busting packs trying to build a single team set. That's just too expensive and I end up with a ton of cards and inserts I don't want. Besides, there are a lot of projects I'm working on and I would rather the majority of my funds go towards acquiring cards to complete those projects instead. Luckily for me, Topps only included one short print in series one that I needed for my set, the Joey Votto card pictured in the post. That too is on it's way to my house and hopefully will be in my binder before the end of the week. I'm glad that Topps decided to include a border in this year's design. To me, the base set should have a border. Save the full bleed photos for Stadium Club. I just don't care for all the transparent boxes on the front of the card. Still feels a little too much like Bowman for me. That and the fact that there are so many rookie cards in Series 1. Maybe if the name was a little larger I would be more of a fan of the design.

10 comments:

Nick said...

The border is pretty much the only thing I like about 2021 Topps. Everything else just feels so cluttered.

Fuji said...

Purchasing the team set on eBay was a my kind of approach to collecting.

bbcardz said...

The 2021 Topps flagship design is definitely a clunker. I have a suspicion they may have fired/laid off some of their design team and went with cheaper labor. This could have been so much better.

Reds Card Collector said...

Well, here's hoping that next year's design is better. I'm not holding my breath though.

Reds Card Collector said...

It's really the only way I purchase my team set anymore Fuji. Saves me a ton of money.

Reds Card Collector said...

I agree Nick. If they were to keep the design simple I would be a huge fan. I'm almost inclined to say that I think Topps Big League is a better product design wise than their flagship brand.

CinciCuse Bill said...

That's how I collect my Reds team cards these days too!

The Diamond King said...

Definitely too Bowman-ish this year. But I like that Votto!

Reds Card Collector said...

It is a nice card, especially with the bat donut. I just wish Topps would make a card of him when he was dressed as a Mountie, but that would probably be a super short print.

Reds Card Collector said...

That's the only way to go Bill. The case breakers bust their boxes for the hits and then they sell the base cards for cheap to recoup their costs.