Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Forgetting the First Rule of Collecting

Collect what you enjoy. So many times I think we have a tendency of forgetting that when it comes to this hobby. I know I have and I've regretted it. Case in point, over the past year I've purged my collection of three projects that I decided either didn't fit into my collection or that I just wanted to fund purchasing something else. Those three projects were the 2015 Topps Update All Star Stitch set, the 2015 Topps Strata Shadowbox set and the 2008 Votto Rookie collection. The first two weren't a big deal, but getting rid of my Votto rookies....what was I thinking?! Once those cards left my collection I knew I had made a huge mistake. I decided a few weeks back that I would decide to pursue not only 90 different Votto cards once more, but also the All Star Stitch and Shadowbox set as well. I really like the design of those cards and I need to remember that when it comes to collecting I should acquire cards that I like. Also, I need to remember that when it comes to collecting, this is a marathon and not a sprint. The greatest joy I get in this hobby is when I complete a project that has taken years to reach the finish line. I've added links to the pages I've created for these projects and I know that these projects will keep me busy in the years to come.

4 comments:

Fuji said...

Collect what you enjoy is a great rule. I love the Strat Shadowbox signatures. Beautiful cards. And I really like Votto. Enjoy the hunt for those Vottos and building those two sets.

Jon said...

Hopefully you'll be able to get some of these cards back for less than you sold them for.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Jon. Some I have and some I haven't. Ever since he passed the 300 home run mark his cards some of his cards immediately doubled in price. I wonder if the same thing will happen when he passes the 2000 hit mark (probably later this year).

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji. Those Strata Shadowbox signatures are fantastic. Just wish they weren't so thick.