Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Still Enjoy Building Sets After All These Years

Back when I started collecting in the mid 80s it was SO much easier to collect sports cards. You had only a few options to choose from and prices for a pack of cards didn't cost an arm and a leg. Donruss and Fleer never tickled my fancy, Score wasn't on my radar, and Sportflics was only available at Toys R Us (where my Mom would only take me for my birthday). That just left Topps and I was content with that. 792 cards to track down was a task that I could easily accomplish. I would normally purchase a couple of wax boxes and trade my doubles with friends to get me over the finish line. Fast forward almost forty years later and I still enjoy set building. I don't buy boxes of new product but I have started putting together some want lists of sets that I always wanted but never got around to chasing. The first is 1993 Topps Finest. I collected the entire set about 5 years ago but for whatever reason I sold it since I didn't think it fit in to my collection and I've regretted it ever since. So, once again I'm going to build it (along with the three promo cards) and hoping to have this completed by the end of the year. I'm also going to add a couple of Donruss Studio sets to the mix just because they're different and I think they're fantastic (1993 and 2003). Maybe I'll decide to chase a set or two later once these are finished, but for now I'll keep things manageable. 

4 comments:

Fuji said...

Impressed that you built that set once. Best of luck doing it again. I've only had a handful of 1993 Finest ever at any given point over the years.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji! I think it's a great set. My only complaint is that I wish all the cards had kept the same design element. The all star cards are ok, but I think they just seem out of place.

Fuji said...

My issue is that Tony Gwynn was an all-star in 1992 and 1993... yet Topps didn't put him in that subset :D

GCA said...

Long Live the Set Builder!

Might be able to help you with the 2003 Studios...