Monday, July 18, 2011

1977 Topps


Here's another set from the 1970s that I love. For whatever reason, the set reminds me of a hybrid between the 1964 and 1965 Topps sets (white borders from 64 and the pennant from the 65 set). It also seems to me that for the past 35 or so years Topps has rehashed a lot of their base set designs from older sets....not that I'm complaining, but I guess there's only so many ways you can design a baseball card. Which leads me into my next rant. I hate it when card companies take an old design and stick current players on that design (Topps Heritage, Bowman Heritage, Fleer Tradition). Come on! That's why there's still such a glut of product on the market with rehashing stuff from the 30s 40s 50s and 60s. Anyway, back to the 1977 Topps set. I had fun putting this team set together and my favorite card from this set would have to be the Tony Perez card. I think it's so sweet how he's pointing the end of the bat barrel right at your face! Very sweet! Too bad the Reds couldn't make it three championships in a row that year....but hey....no one's perfect.

No comments: