Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Pocketful of Sunshine

I love history. I think it's fascinating to be able to look back in time and see what took place 10, 20, 50 years ago. It gives us a window into our past when times seemed so much simpler compared to the hustle and bustle of today. It reminds us of where we've been even though most of us are in a hurry to get through today.

I'm always thinking of ways that I can expand my collection without taking up too much room in house and I've recently decided that one aspect of our sport fits perfectly into my love of baseball and history, pocket schedules. This past weekend I was in Cincinnati for a Reds/Brewers game and my family and I decided to pay a visit to Frisch's. While we were at the checkout I noticed a nice box of Reds pocket schedules and decided to grab one when I saw Big Boy on the front. Later, as I was thumbing through the schedule it occurred to me that these little booklets contain a wealth of historical information. Each game of the season is detailed nicely with home and away games depicted accordingly. In addition to the advertisements that are included within, some of these pocket schedules list stadium giveaways, appreciation nights, stadium seating, and seating prices. I know that if I wanted to I could probably find this information online, but that just not me. I prefer the feel of paper over digitized copies.



So I've now started collecting Cincinnati Reds pocket schedules. I know that these won't break the bank when it comes to purchasing these and, as I stated before, I love the history these tiny booklets contain. I'm not going to try and collect the various schedules that come out each year. I don't need four different 2015 pocket schedules that have the same information but different advertisements. That just seems like overkill to me. I also won't have to worry about storage since these fit nicely in a standard 9 pocket card page. I plan on purchasing an ultra pro 90 card album to hold this new collection. Now if I can only start wrapping up some of my other projects before I start something new.


4 comments:

The Prowling Cat said...

The Big Boy schedules are some of my favorite in all of baseball. They had a streak where they had three or four different backs. I would definitely make them a starting point to any Reds schedule collection.

The Reds in general have some awesome schedules. I'm not a Reds fan, and have toyed with collecting Reds schedules in the past due to all the cool covers. It seems like tons of businesses in the area put out their own schedule. Those don't even include the ones put out by the team. Can't wait to see which schedule you put for each year

Reds Card Collector said...

There are already a couple that I have my eye on from the mid 70s and early 80s including a Stroh's beer and a Pabst Blue Ribbon schedule. I think this will be a fun project to complete.

CO said...

I've got an extra 2009 I'd be happy to send you.

Reds Card Collector said...

Absolutely! Send me your email address and I'll send you my address. You can reach me at lucksc0620 at gmail.com