Thursday, July 26, 2018

Join the Club!

For the past few months I've been working on trying to complete my 1991 Topps Stadium club set. I'm not talking about the standard set of 600 cards. Rather, what I'm talking about is the 50 card Pre-Production set the company produced prior to launching the actual 1991 Stadium Club set. A "promo" set essentially.








While the front of these cards look just like your standard 1991 Stadium Club cards, the backs of these cards are all the same. They show a Jose Canseco rookie card with a Pre-Production sample blurb.

According to baseballcardpedia, "Not much is known about these cards. It is believed that Topps distributed these cards to their sales team and to major distributors. The set consists of 50 cards and it's believed that 300-600 copies of each card was produced." I think these cards complement my 1991 Stadium Club set nicely. Now that I have this set completed maybe I can get back to wrapping up my 2011 Gypsy Queen set.

8 comments:

Nick said...

I've never seen/heard of these before. Very cool!

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Nick. I have a few doubles I can send to you if you're interested. Just send me an email with your address to lucksc0620(at)gmail.com

Kin said...

Definitely cool....I didn't know about them either. I've hand collated this set in the last year and I suppose I should look for these to "complete" the set.

-kin
beansballcardblog.com

Fuji said...

Wow. 300 to 600 copies in early 90's standards are ultra rare. Never seen these before... but with that kind of print run... I understand why. Very cool.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji. The print run on these make them extremely hard to track down. I was surprised I was able to put this set together. I thought it would be a project I would never complete.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Kin. Best of luck chasing those cards. The Ryan and Mattingly cards are the ones that will put a serious dent in your wallet.

GCA said...

Interesting, but at least I don't have any player collection guys in those.

Email me @ QAPLAGCA at yahoo.com if you'd like a starter of Hometown Heroes. I should be able to hit some of your 2011 GQ too.

My daily thoughts!! said...

I have a lot of baseball cards don't know the worth of them but from early 80s and 90s