Wednesday, January 25, 2012

2005 Studio

While I've been busy trying to knock out my 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen set, I've started on another set endeavor, the 2005 Studio set. I was a big fan of Studio when it came out in 1991 and while it held a special place in my collecting heart, I couldn't put in on the same pedestal as the 1991 Topps Stadium Club set. When I started dabbling in the hobby again in 2002 I was disappointed with what had happened to Studio. I wasn't impressed with their designs and was sad at what had become of this novelty set. However, in 2005 that changed when I saw what Donruss released. The card backgrounds are fantastic with the city skylines that are used on most of the cards in this set. In addition, I like how Donruss decided to use a sepia style in this design as compared to standard color photography. If I had one gripe with the set, it would be that I miss how Donruss didn't have the player's hobbies and interest or their hero. It's that quirky stuff besides a player's stats that I'm able to connect with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree - it seems like that's the point of studio, is things like that. Also, I liked the up close "STUDIO" shots - isn't that the point too? It looks like the Griffey isn't done that way. Background is cool, thouhg.

Reds Card Collector said...

Absolutely. As for Griffey, unless he decided to take a stroll while being photographed, that's definitely a field shot. Just have to wonder if Panini would ever resurrect Studio. I'm not holding my breath, but I doubt it.

Cool Breeze said...

I have 4 Studio cards for you.Email me at rjbreeze2 at yahoo dot com.