Friday, January 6, 2012

1962 Topps

In the past few weeks I've started working on one of my collecting goals for 2012....the 1962 Topps Reds team set. I can't put into words how much I loath this set. I know that Topps tried to base the design on a poster pasted to a wooden fence (kinda like those circus posters that you saw every year when they were coming to town), but this is just plain hideous. I'm not a fan of the photos that Topps used in this set either. Most appear out of focus, dark, or just plain boring. Very sub par set from Topps. I will say that if there's one card in this set that's my favorite, I would have to pick the Frank Robinson card. Sure, it's a hokey shot of him looking out into the field after following through on a fake swing that the photographer insisted he take, but maybe Frank is pondering of things yet to come. Things that wouldn't be achieved in a Reds uniform. One can only wonder.

No comments: