Monday, February 3, 2020

The Only Football Set I'll Own

Over the weekend I decided to purchase a complete 500 card set of 1991 Topps Stadium Club Football. I remember my mom getting a wax box (if you want to call it that even though the packs were plastic) of this for me Christmas 1991. It was fantastic tearing into it, looking at the full bleed photos and flipping each card over to look at the player's rookie card photo on the back. I loved everything about the Stadium Club brand in their inaugural debut. I've now acquired the baseball, football and hockey sets from that year. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should track down the Charter Member and Member Only sets as well as the Stadium Club dome set. They're not "must haves" for me but I think it would be neat to have the full run from 1991 since I did want those cards 29 years ago. What about you guys? Are there still cards your on the fence about collecting that you wanted when you were younger?

2 comments:

Fuji said...

That's awesome that you've collected all three of the 1991 Stadium Club sets. I'd love to eventually pick up all three myself. I own several of the football sets, but don't think I have the baseball or hockey. This past weekend, I picked up a box of the Series 2 baseball for $5. The guy had two boxes. I probably should have grabbed both, but I was worried about the cards sticking together.

As for cards I'm still on the fence about collecting... some of the 80's Sportflics come to mind. I collected them when I was younger and it'd be cool to have them in my collection again. I guess I'm just waiting to stumble across some at the flea market.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji. Wow, $5 for a box of series 2 baseball is cheap. As for sportflics, I loved those cards. I remember buying a lot of that stuff at Toys r Us back in the day. Those cards are fantastic. Very underrated in the hobby.