Monday, June 10, 2024

Making Progress of a Pre-War Set

I haven't spent much time the past few years trying to complete some of my older Reds team sets, mainly due to the price of the cards. I still prefer vintage over modern cards but when you're talking about shelling out a hundred dollars or more on a card that's not a hall of famer then it becomes a hard pill to swallow. I haven't been able to find a copy of a 1941 Play Ball Johnny Vander Meer for less than $100. Perhaps it's due to the fact that it's a high number card in a pre-war set or that it's his rookie card. I knew that out of the four Reds cards that comprise this set, Vander Meer would be the toughest to track down. Last week I stumbled across a listing on eBay for this copy that, I feel, is in decent shape for its age. No creasing on this card and it was for $50. I finally pulled the trigger and bought it today so now I just have to wait for it to show up within the next week to place it in the binder. I'm glad to finally have a card of the only player in major league history to throw back-to-back no hitters. I'm hopeful that by the end of the year I'll be able to add the Derringer and McCormick to my collection.

2 comments:

Fuji said...

I think a lot of collectors are with you on spending big money on singles for team sets. I'm building a few A's team sets, but none of them are super high on my priority list. Money is a big reason for that. My philosophy is if I can find singles for a good price, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I can wait.

Congratulations on crossing the Vander Meer off of your wantlist.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji. I'm really at a crossroad in my collection since I'm missing some "newer" cards that are on the pricey end of the spectrum. In fact, they're as much or more for what it would cost for vintage. Not sure why that is except for print runs and scarcity. It's just frustrating in general but I guess that's what comes with being part of the hobby now.