Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Ken Griffey Jr. Bobblehead

Here's my last post of 2011 and with it....the last post of bobblehead month on the Cincinnati Reds Baseball Card Collector blog. What better way to wrap up than with a sure-fire soon to be hall of famer......Ken Griffey Jr. I was so excited when Junior decided to come and play ball in Cincinnati. Unfortunately, injuries led to many disappointing seasons with him on the DL. Anyway, the Reds decided to honor Griffey on May 24, 2005 with his very own nodder. Again the Reds gave out 30,000 of these bobbleheads to fans in attendance. Fans were treated to a great game as the Reds won in extra innings 4-3. Griffey was traded from the Mariners to the Reds on February 12, 2000 for Brett Tomko, Mike Cameron, Antonio Perez, and Jake Meyer. While with Cincinnati, Griffey was a three time all-star (thirteen total) and was the 2005 National League Comeback Player of the Year. I won't mention his other accomplishments (number of Gold Glove, Silver Slugger awards, etc.) since it makes me sad to see what he couldn't completely accomplish in Cincinnati what he did in Seattle. I will say that it was great to see Junior pass 600 Home Runs while he wore a Reds uniform. The Kid will always have a special place in my heart since he too was from Cincinnati and had the sweetest swing I have ever seen.

No comments: