Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Leather and Lumber

No, I'm not talking about the Donruss sets of the early 2000s (although I have been tempted on numerous occasions to put one of these together). I'm talking about the "elements" that make up the game we cherish. The elements that comprise the balls, gloves and bats of the game. I shared in a previous post my autographed Pete Rose Rawlings black bat and today I've decided to share with you my autographed Pete Rose Louisville Slugger ball glove. There's a bit of a water stain in the glove where Pete signed, but it hasn't affected the signature. Pete will be inducted into the Reds Hall of Fame the weekend of June 24th-26th. In case you're wondering, the ball that I have displayed in the glove is from the August 13, 1999 game when the Reds took on the Phillies at Cinergy Field. It's the only time I've caught a foul ball during a game and it was a nice surprise to occur on my birthday of that year.  The Reds won that game 5-4.


2 comments:

Fuji said...

Cool Pete Rose autograph. Nice to hear the Reds are adding him to their HOF. Oh... and I love me some leather and lumber. Don't have any signed gloves yet... but I do have a few signed bats. Congratulations on catching the foul ball on your birthday. I'm still waiting for my first.

Reds Card Collector said...

Thanks Fuji! It's very cool to snag a foul ball. Probably the best birthday present ever :)