Friday, August 26, 2011

1982 Topps


Not a whole lot to say about this set. Pros and Cons, as I always do regarding any Topps set. I do like the facsimile autographs on the front of the card and the fact that Topps again used their "In Action" subset this year. The photography could have been better (especially from a Reds fan perspective...Johnny Bench portrait!) Standard white border as with any Topps set around this time period. Not that it's a bad thing but white borders year after year do get a little boring. I do like the green on the card backs, although I guess any color would do except for maybe black, but I'm no expert. It's funny really to look at the quality of these early 80s sets and then see how everything changed in 1989. Sometimes I think that if Topps were to take a year and print their base set on the stock they use to and package their cards with a stick of stale gum in an actual "wax" pack that many of us old school collectors would be willing to buy a box or two of the product for the chance of taking a trip down memory lane once more.

No comments: